Bhubaneswar: Questions raised on whether Fire safety standards at SUM Hospital-cum-medical college where 19 patients died and several others turned critical after a major fire due to electric short circuit here on Monday evening, were followed or not.
“It’s a fact that it’s a very Tragic incident and naturally nobody can think of it. Efforts should be taken in all hospital – both private and Government to avoid all types Electric short circuit,” said Culture and Tourism Minister Ashok Chandra Panda.
Expressing grief over the tragedy, Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MP Tathagat Sathpathy said there was major lapse on the part of hospital when it comes following fire safety standards.
Stern action would be taken against the owner of the hospital and if found guilty then he will soon be arrested and the hospital will be closed, the BJD MP added.
However, hospital authorities and staff are denying any lapses on their part.
“It’s unfortunate and it’s an accident,” said Jayant Das, a doctor of SUM Hospital.
Speaking on safety standards, the doctor said: “ I have been working in this hospital for the last 16 years and I am sure all safety standards were followed.”